Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default First concrete 3d printed building?

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 00:36:10 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

snip

Do you agree that we need a better word than printer for these
futuristic machines?

Well, I am ok with it because I can understand how the mechanics place
a layer of something using an xy axis, just like most other
(Cartesian, as opposed to Delta) printers do but these also have the z
(height) axis?

Any ideas?

Well I think the formal name for the process is 'Additive
Manufacturing' but as you say there isn't anything other than plain
'3D printing' (as opposed to 'printing') that people use.

You are right though, I've had to answer the 'I don't understand why
it's called 3D printing because it's not actually printing' comment
quite a few times. I guess it's because they may not know how a 2D
printer works to realise just how close a 3D printer is mechanically
(conceptually)?

In a similar way they don't seem to be aware not all tablets are
'iPads'? 'Yes, I've got a Samsung iPad ...'?

Cheers, T i m