Dave Moore

Default CTC169 and sub flyback 232191 incompatability notes

"JURB6006" wrote in message

Of course now a few of us have some flys in stock, now to figure out what
they're for. Of course they will probably work in many CTC169s but they

might
put out a bit too much HV for a 27". I know this much, if you reroute the

ABL
line as in a direct view and insulate the black wire a PTV set will run,

but
you should disconnect the power to the HV booster board or it will be

going
full blast trying to regulate.

I actually had to ship one like that in the past, the customer was getting

be quite the hothead, but he was told about it. It was safe, but we told

him
about, like when something blows up the image will bloom. As far as we

could
tell, before we had this thing figured out, the focus voltage going into

the
secondary of the HV boost transformer had caused it to fail. We are pretty

sure
of this because in the end the only thing it took to fix that set was the
flyback. Of course we went through the lytics in the power supply and we
usually have a look at the 15V line on these, none of these other things

were
the cause of failure.

JURB

In my case, I used a "direct view" flyback in a PTV and routed
the ABL pin to the HV regulator and simply insulated and didn't use
the black wire ( focus pin)

After a day or two the flyback crapped out.

As for why, not sure, mighta been the fact that it was salvaged
from a 36" set that had been struck by lightning.

Or it mighta been because I later discovered that a little 820pf
cap was shorted out on the HV splitter and was impeding
the negative feedback to the regulator circuit, which I will
have to guess probably caused the HV regulator circuit to try
to boost the HV as much as it could, thinking that the
HV was low.

However, before I had hooked the HV lead back up to the
HV splitter, I has measured it at 28KV so I assumed all was
ok with the regulator.

I suppose it's entirely possible that the 820pf cap died at
the same time the flyback did,, chicken,,, egg?

Anyway, if I hadn't already fixed over 12 different things wrong
with this TV,, I guess I'd be adventurous enough to experiment
some more with this.

That's right,, this was the TV from HELL.

Now, only thing left to do is to add up how
much money I lost by fixing it :-)

Thanks for the tips -- DM--