Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BRIDGEPORT MILL, TYPES OF SPINDLES

On 2016-02-09, Howard Beal wrote:

"mango" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello guys, I recently acquired a used Bridgeport mill ( my first
encounter) a
friend had outdoors . I managed to get all the parts freed up, even the
motor
works. But i've encountered one road-block, the R8 collet i tried in the
spindle seems to be too long. _*_What other type of collet does the
Bridgeport
use?_*_ I think this is a J series, here is the serial # J163607 stamped
on
the head. A plate attached to the head has drive serial #2J40289. **

[ ... ]

Could be a 2MT, i remember some of the old bridgeports had that taper.

Could be --- but unlikely in a J-head mill. The keying pin, or
the alternative NTMB-30 quick-switch spindle are the most likely, here.
I described both in an article just posted before this one.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail