Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Twisted pair overhead power lines? Why?

On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 14:37:09 -0600, wrote:

On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:02:28 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 14:03:07 -0600, dpb wrote:

We started a number of years ago
after a massive ice event took almost 60% of our total transmission
lines down.

OT, but just wanted, without any attempt to be sarcastic or nasty, to
ask when ice storm became ice event. I heard on the radio a few days
ago, bleeding event, as opposed to bleeding. Is the new occupation
of event planner the reason there are so many more events these days?

The media likes to exaggerate things. Apparently to get more people to
watch their coverage and thus increase their ratings. This seems to be
the name of the game lately.

Just recently they were predicting a major blizzard, with white-out
conditions, high winds, extreme drifting, and more..... They said to
stay off the roads. This was predicted to occur at a certain time.
The end result occurred 6 hours later than their predicted time. It
snowed, and was fairly heavy at times, but no where close to a
"white-out". It was windy and of course there was some drifting as a
result. I happened to be driving home at the time, and had no problem
driving. In the end, it was just a common winter snow storm, with some
wind and drifting. No biggie!

In the past, I have seen REAL Blizzards, as well as "white-outs", and
drifts so high you could not even walk thru them. I still recall getting
trapped on a storm like that, while driving and not only did I have to
park my car and wait over two hours for the storm to lighten, but also
had to turn around and head home, knowing I'd never get to my
destination. Then it took almost 3 hours to drive about 10 miles.

BIG DIFFERENCE !!!

Yes there is a big difference - BUT - they put out warnings on worst
case scenario so people don't end up in the situation you did. You'd
really be upset if they said there was a chance of light drifting snow
with moderate winds (what you got when the heavy storm was forcast)
and you ended up with the full-blown blizzard. It's a case of CYA

Exaggeration seems to be the name of the game, when it comes to media
coverage these days. Just like last year there was a local house fire.
The news said "it burned to the ground". I saw the house the next day.
The entire house was still standing, roof intact, but noticable charred
siding from all the windows on one side of the house. "Burned to the
Ground" means NOTHING IS LEFT! There was an entire house still standing,
but with serious damage. (Since then, this house has been repaired. It
was resided, new windows, and I suppose the whole interior was gutted
and replaced). Obviously the structure remained sound, or they would
have demolished it....