Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor

Am Montag, 8. Februar 2016 19:53:52 UTC+1 schrieb Ed Huntress:

Being from 1959, it's probably real Honduras mahogany. That's the most
moisture-stable, warp-free wood you can get -- a key reason that
Linhoff and others used it for view-camera frames.

Interesting to know the likely source. Just looked out my pictures and the date is actually 1955. Here's a cross section (I put a little linseed oil on the cut surface to highlight the grain). Looks like this mahogany was laminated somehow:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrugo6vnoz...ogany.JPG?dl=0

Most of it is pretty soft, but it varies through a wide range of
hardnesses.

I'm down to around 30 board feet of it, harvested in the late '30s.

Wish I could find some wood like that.