Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default DIY NAS question for the *nix experts

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

I never had any trouble with it, and I supported SCSI based Sun stuff
for many years. Perhaps because it was all single vendor?

The slower stuff, up to ultra-wide SCSI, mixed-and-matched without
problems if you used decent cables and active terminators, and checked
carefully for on-board termination on devices before fitting them.
Remember these funny in-line resistor packs?

http://www.warp12racing.com/images/a.../ataritt18.jpg

I ran a Digital/Compaq Alpha server running Tru64 UNIX with 7 disks in
an external "pedestal" and four DLT tape drives attached to another
card. That was the main server for the department for many years.

Things got a bit hinky with U160, not helped by the Adaptec U160
adapters being a pile of ****e. It was disappointing after the 2940UW
card, which Just Worked with about everything. I still have a couple in
the bits box, can't bear to chuck them out.

I gave up on daisy-chaining with U320 and reverted to point-to-point
(one card, one cable, one device.) It just wasn't reliable enough. The
adapters were cheap enough for it to not matter.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!