Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Twisted pair overhead power lines? Why?

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 16:51:01 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 02/07/2016 3:18 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I'm about 60 miles north of the Kansas border. The worst storm
for power outage was in the spring of 1976. There's a bit here
http://nlcs1.nlc.state.ne.us/docs/pi.../storm1976.pdf if anyone
is interested. Pictures of helicopters hauling assembled structures
included.

So you got hammered a week ago??? How far from Goodland, on north or
farther east/west? They're straight north of us 180 mi or so...

I forget which year it was our ice was so bad, but per typical SW KS it
also came w/ 50+ mph sustained wind, gusts to 70-80 mph estimated...

I'm north of Salina give or take. Grand Island got hit the worst
last week
with about eighteen inches of snow. We got about a foot.
The kids here got a couple days off from school. The local officials
had enough faith in the forecasts to announce the shutdowns ahead of time.
That storm back in '76 prompted the telephone companies to bury their
phone lines. A co worker from back then had a field day. Some of the
insulators were worth money.