Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY NAS question for the *nix experts

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
However, ZFS might be a more interesting choice.

For something like this, I would (and do) use Debian. ZFS is pretty
solid on Debian (but is not "native: you need to include an extra
repository http://zfsonlinux.org/debian.html ) and MD + LVM is
absolutely rock solid.

Just to point out (and I'm sure Tim knows this anyway), you don't
normally use MD/LVM with ZFS - it has its own volume management
integrated in. You can mix disk sizes in zpool, but you ideally
use the same size in each top level vdev (stripe), as within a top
level vdev, it will treat all disks as though they are the size
of the smallest one.

--
Andrew Gabriel