Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - UK Power Networks extra support in power cut - elderly?

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 11:50:32 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 2/7/2016 8:13 AM, RJH wrote:
On 07/02/2016 07:53, harry wrote:

In the event ofa power cut, certain people allegedly have priority in
having it restored.

Quite - at the councils and HAs (I've worked at) vulnerable households
are flagged on the system. In that way they can if possible prioritise
and tailor repairs and maintenance.

I'm not sure that 'being 65' or disabled, or having children,
necessarily makes people vulnerable - just more likely.

I still think it is no bad idea to have a second register, even an
imperfect one, with the electricity supplier. If there is a local
distribution failure, their database will throw up exactly who is
affected. Other organisations won't know the precise boundaries of the
fault. And I am sure they will do nothing special for a 1 hour fault if
only babies or pensioners are affected, but that might well matter for
someone on oxygen.

I've been more conscious of this ever since I read "Overload" by Arthur
Hailey. Its a good read - he was the author of "Airport" (book is better
than the film).