Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default footboard repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 7:42:44 PM UTC-5, badgolferman wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It would have been nice to see a picture of the disassembled joint
just for clarity. Is there a tenon on the end of those 2 sections
that go into the mortise (notch) or was it just the full sized ends
themselves?

The bottom looks as if the full size end goes into the mortise but
there might still be a tenon on the end of it. Just curious.

It was a full sized end.

How snug was the fit when you put it back together?

Not so snug that it didn't fall out when my wife was changing the
sheets.

Well, good luck. I hope it holds.

If it was loose enough that it fell out more or less on it's own,
regular wood glue may not hold up. As I mentioned in an earlier post,
regular wood glue is not meant to fill gaps, so typically a snug fit
is desirable. It may hold for a while, but if the bond isn't strong
enough it will eventually dry out and loosen up. I really do hope
that doesn't happen, but if it does at least you'll know why and
you'll be prepared to try something different, like Gorilla glue,
next time.

I spent most of the day reassembling a curved back antique chair.
14 joints, some mortise & tenon, some doweled (2 - 3 dowels each)
The old glue had to be cleaned off all 14 joints (both sides) before
could be glued back together. 10 of the 14 joints had to be glued up
in one shot.

The square chairs I did last weekend were easy. Round back chairs,
with curved joints aren't easy to clamp. I spent close to an hour
doing a dry run to figure out a workable clamping scheme that I
could get done in the 10 - 15 working time that the Gorilla glue
allowed. When I was ready, I had SWMBO come down to shop for an
extra pair of hands to hold things together while I got all the
clamps in place.

What a pain but SWMBO loves the chair (it came from her Grandmother)
so I didn't really mind.