Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Completely OT : Qbasic

On 02/06/2016 06:58 PM, Don Y wrote:

I have a film scanner that can handle up to 4x6 (?) negatives but, again,
its painfully slow. Prints, by comparison, are much easier (I have a
"B size" scanner on which I can lay about a dozen prints at a time so
just have to do *one* scan to get a dozen images).

My system isn't perfect but still, I can usually find what I'm looking
for in
less than five minutes.
Prior to this it would have taken hours.

But, you probably sort based on things like "Liz's wedding", "Trip to
Disneyland", "2010 Fall Vacation", etc. Chances are, you wouldn't be
looking for a photo of a particular *shirt* that you had -- unless you
KNEW when you were wearing it!

Interestingly, thanks to digital enhancement I've been able to save
some images
that what have been unprintable in a dark room.

I am hoping that to be true. I recently found some prints of our
puppymonsters that were of poor quality (I'm not a photographer and,
with a film camera, can't tell what the photos WILL look like until
they are developed!). The negatives are intact and I'm hoping I
can goose the contrast a bit in photoshop to pull more detail
from them.

I'm using an Epson Perfection V600 and the built-in software has very
good color correction for faded film. Keeps the use of Photoshop to a
minimum. If you don't have Photoshop, the bundled software is reasonably
good...but amazingly, at the age of 66 I have finally reached the
professional level.

What that means is if I have some really detailed Photoshop work to do,
I let my wife handle it. She's an expert.

She's full time artist and her agent has now taken a great interest in
my photography, especially the B&W 35mm and medium format stuff I did in
the 70's.

Since he deal with fine art collectors I will have to do the prints the
old fashioned way...silver-gelatin and fiber based paper.

Of course, I gave my darkroom away last year, but don't fret. My skills
in the darkroom were not quite up to snuff, and fortunately there is a
very good photo lab only a mile from my house.

Got my test print yesterday and it's absolutely wonderful.

Since some of my negatives are not so good...once scanned...
they can take an edited .tif or .jpg, turn it into a negative, then
print it conventionally.

Also found an place on-line that can skip the step of making a negative,
had them do a test print for me as well and though they were excellent,
I think the local place was a tad bit better.