Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Completely OT : Qbasic

On 02/06/2016 04:02 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 13:08:06 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/6/2016 10:48 AM, philo wrote:
I was not terribly interested in computers at all until I got into digital
photography. Though I am not usually an early adapter, I started in the year
2000 when it became affordable.

The "value" of a digital photograph completely escaped my notice
until a neighbor, in passing, said, "Why don't you just send
him a photo of it?" (something I was describing to a colleague
in email exchanges).

This had to be the biggest "D'oh!" moment in my life! Cripes, how
incredibly obvious!! :

Now, whenever I disassemble something, I take copious photos at
each stage of the process -- don't have to EVER print any of them!
Don't even have to take them off the camera! Just browse through
them while REassembling and delete when done!

Huge time saver as I repair lots of kit for friends and neighbors.
Keeping track of which screw came out of which hole is a real
challenge, otherwise!

SWMBO takes large numbers of (casual) photos -- mainly to capture
textures and shadows as potential subjects for her artwork. But,
then is faced with the daunting task of TRACKING and ORGANIZING
all of those photos (e.g., she may take 100 snapshots over the
course of a 3 hour hike -- and do that once or twice a week!)

I have thousands of technical documents -- but they are relatively easily
organized. How the hell do you file a photo of an eagle purched on
a dead branch overlooking some rapids? Wildlife? Birds? Water?
Season? etc.

At least if *I* go looking for a particular document, I have a pretty
good idea of where it *might* be stored...

The trick with pictures is to sort the good ones out right away and
put them away in a predictable place but I still keep all of my raw
images, sorted by the date they were taken. (done by the camera)

Yes, I did not scan every last slide or negative,

20% were not worth going through the effort.

I first sorted by year

but am also creating a data base by subject.

My system isn't perfect but still, I can usually find what I'm looking
for in less than five minutes.
Prior to this it would have taken hours.

Interestingly, thanks to digital enhancement I've been able to save some
images that what have been unprintable in a dark room.