Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Does anyone remember ARCO Graphite Oil?

posted for all of us...

On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 05:05:11 -0600,
wrote:

Does anyone remember ARCO Graphite Oil? (Motor Oil)

This oil was real popular in the 70's, then it seemed to just vanish.
What ever happened to it?

Did you use it? If you did, what was your opinion of it?

Although it cost a little more that plain oil, I bought it, since it was
supposed to be a superior lubricant. I never had any problems with it,
and I was using it on some high milage old cars that lasted almost
forever. So, I was pleased with it.

But all of a sudden it just disappeared from the store shelves and I
have not seen it sold in years.

ARCO's Graphite Oil, marketed back in the 80's as a fuel saver
(supposed to give 5% better fuel mileage)...This stuff was withdrawn
from the market due to a basic problem they couldn't solve - how to
keep the solids (graphite chips) in suspension. I also always looked
"dirty" which didn't help it's ales any.

Any hydrocarbon (oil) and most synthetic base stocks are all LIGHTER
than Water, as in a specific gravity of "less than" 1.0 - that is why
they float on the top of water. Graphite has a specific gravity of
"greater than" 1.0 and with our normal gravity here on Earth it will
find it's way to the bottom of the container and stay there! This made
for some really neat, tough, sludges in engines that caused over
heating and restricted flows..bad news.
You have to have what is called "gel strength" in a fluid to
"suspend" any higher specific gravity solids within it, when the
movement or flow is stopped.

+1 Didn't it used to clog up and ruin bearings and the graphite would tend
to clog some filters...fast.

--
Tekkie