Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default footboard repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:34:49 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 06:05:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 9:46:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs

wrote: badgolferman wrote:
The all wood footboard of one of our beds has been squeaking

at the joint where the horizontal board attaches to the
vertical post. I tried spraying some silicone in there a few
weeks ago to silence it but to no avail.

Yesterday when my wife was changing the sheets somehow the

board separated from the post. Nothing is broken, it just
came out of the notches where the dowels and main load
bearing connection are. I pushed everything back together
for now, but I doubt it will hold together forever.

Why is there no glue in these connections? Everything seems

to be dry fitted together. Should I put some wood glue in
there and hold it all together with bungee cords until it
dries?
Has ANYBODY thought to ask bgm what type of joint this is ?

Bed rails are often coupled to the head and foot board with a
pair of pins in the post that engage notches in a metal plate
(post has a slot for the metal plate) that is fastened to the
end of the rail .
He didn't say the bed rails were loose, he said the *foot board*

was loose.
He used the words: "Nothing is broken, it just came out of the
notches where the dowels and main load bearing connection are."

The corner posts often have a notch into which a tenon on the

foot board (or head board) go, which is then (sometimes) secured
with dowels.
Granted, a picture sure would help.

If this is the way it's made , you
have a couple of choices - assuming the plate is tightly

fastened you can put a shim between the post and the end of the
rail . If it's loose , tighten it up with new fasteners and
possibly move it a bit to tighten up the joint .
If it's a glued joint as others have assumed , you're screwed

. That silicone you sprayed in there has soaked into the wood
now and nothing is going to stick .
--

Not necessarily. With a little work, the parts could be notched

to give them tooth which a product such as Gorilla glue could
grab.
Better yet would be to use some 2 part epoxy with a filler

additive such as West Systems 404. See the "General Bonding" item
in this list:
http://209.20.76.247/ss/filler-selection-guide/

A couple of dove tail like notches in both parts would allow the

epoxy to get "behind" the wood and lock everything together.

Heck, a couple of fancy bolts and nylon lock nuts might even

work, depending how long the tenon is. Once the loose side is
secured, add 2 bolts on the other to balance out the visual.

By saying "you're screwed" you are implying that he should just

throw the entire bed away because he used silicon spray. There
are so many options for fixing this bed that to make that
implication is ridiculous.

He iIS screwed as far as a "simple" glue repair is concerned. Yes,
there are other possible repairs -

Snag did not qualify his "screwed" reference by limiting it to a glue
repair, he simply said that bgm is "screwed".

bgm isn't screwed, but the bed may have to be. ;-)

As I said earlier, a picture would really help. Nothing against bgm,
but the mere fact that he thought silicon spray was a good remedy for
a squeaky wood-to-wood connection may mean that his description isn't
extremely accurate. Even if the silicon stopped the squeak, it would
have only treated the symptom, not cured the disease. (that's for
bgm)
When I read "notch" I think mortise and tenon, not dowels, unless the
tenon was secured with dowels at a right angle, as in though the face
of the bed post.

https://correawoodworks.files.wordpr...010/10/bed.jpg

If that's the case, I'm not sure how the foot board went from loose
to "separated from the post". "Separated" as in pulled out? I'm not
sure how that would happen with through dowels. Loose, yes. Pulled
out? Not unless the dowels themselves fell out or cracked. It would
be really tough to crack the through dowels unless there was major
damage to lots of other wood in that area. There was no mention of
that in bgm's description.

Now, it is possible as I said before, that instead of a tenon on the
end of the foot board rails, they made the mortise in the bed post
large enough to accept the full foot board rail and used dowels on
the end (in-line) instead of a tenon. That takes the weight off of
the dowels but provides more secure connection than just gluing the
end of the foot board into a shallow mortise. If that was the case,
it would not only fit his description ("it just came out of the
notches where the dowels and main load bearing connection are made")
but it would also be a fairly common issue caused by dried out glue.

Of course, maybe I've got the entirely wrong idea of what bgm, means
by "notches"

Once again, a picture would really help.

So here's a pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wereskn1n8...2029.jpeg?dl=0

Sorry, there were no dowels. I was writing the original post from
another computer while not at home. Never mind the dried up wood glue
on the post, i picked it all off after the picture. That end of the
bed has very little light shining on it so I didn't see all that when I
was setting up the strap and gluing it. It seems to be bonded just
fine and doesn't squeak anymore.