Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default DIY NAS question for the *nix experts

On 06/02/2016 15:55, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 06/02/16 14:58, John Rumm wrote:
I seem to be sinking under a pile of spare hard drives at the moment -
typically 2.5" 500GB ones. It would be nice to find a way of making use
of them *cheaply*. It would be nice to build a NAS platform for use as a
backup repository, and for perhaps archiving stuff like films.

Here's maybe a thought,

When digital TV first launched, there were queries how much disk space
would it take to simultaneously record the output of all the TV muxes.

How many days continuous could you catch with your HDD stash? I know
it's the age of onDemand, but not all content is available that way.

I have about 15 gigs worth of new 500G 2.5" drives, and perhaps 3 or 4
gigs worth of 3.5" ones. That won't buy you that much time if recording
all the muxes - especially the HD ones.

--
Cheers,

John.