Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default DIY NAS question for the *nix experts

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article . com,
"bm" writes:
Tis true, a 4 bay case is more expensive than buying a larger drive.
I'm wondering whether to use an old PC, bung in my drives, get something
like this -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Port-SAT...AOSwSdZWd0r Z
maybe I could use FreeNAS.

Steer well clear of the 3112/3114 SATA controllers!
They were very early SATA controllers that pretend to be IDE (PATA) to
the OS, so they can be used by OS's which didn't know about SATA drives.
(Note they are not PCIe either - they predate that too.)
They are well known for silent data corruption (great for testing ZFS
self-healing, but useless for any other filesystems).

Terrific, cheers for that.
Hmmmmm.