Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14059 Ignoramus14059 is offline

Default Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor

On 2016-02-05, dpb wrote:
On 02/04/2016 7:57 PM, Ignoramus11775 wrote:
It is sitting on my truck:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/4500-hp-motor.jpg

It was used to power a big blower at a coal fired electrical power
station. Then it was rebuilt, then the power station was shut down
by
the EPA. The power station is 96 years old. They have a 96 years
old
bridge crane that is still operational.

The blower at iFly is 1,600 HP, and this is 4,500 HP, almost 3
times bigger.

http://en-us.fluke.com/community/flu...rs-flying.html

Couldn't find a good picture quickly, unfortunately...reactor
primary
coolant pump motors are around 6,0000 HP (Oconee-class, 850 MWe
output)
to approaching 10,000 HP for later 1100-1200 MWe units. There's
enough
"waste" energy imparted from the impeller work that it's how
initial
temperature is raised from ambient to 560 F at 2250 psia prior to
reactor startup. Oconee flow rate is 131.6E6 lbm/hr total or
roughly
65,000 gpm thru each of the four RCPs...

Power plants do tend to be big machines...

I am taking pictures of their place, as I work there.

They have enormous vertical pumps also, impellers about 12 ft in
diameter. Powered by what clearly looks like antique giant
motors. Much bigger than the motor in the photo that I posted.

This is an electrically powered US aircraft carrier supplying Tacoma,
Washington during the winter of 1929-30, when a drought crippled their
hydro plant:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020247.jpg
The ship's electric propulsion motors totalled 180,000 HP. Electricity
was used as an automatic transmission connecting the high-speed
turbo-generators to the much slower propellor shafts, before we
learned to make sufficiently large and reliable reduction gearing.

WW2 submarines used electric drive motors about the size of yours.

-jsw

This is amazing. Most locomotives and large mining trucks are still
electrically driven.