stephen

Default TV builds up huge static charge during reassembly, anybody seenthis before???

Hi Jerry,

I will certainly ground any televisions I reassemble in the future.

I'm still curious about the exact mechanism for this, but I'm not going
to experiment with this set to find out. You're right, if the charge
had built up on the secondary side of the supply, and I had discharged
that, the set would be dead right now.

Thanks,

Stephen

Jerry Greenberg wrote:

The set should have been properly grounded to an external ground.
Most likely there was a build up of charge from the stored charge in
the HV section. The complete chasis can come to a type of equilization
from this charge, if it is floating in relation to a true ground. I
have seen this mostly in large screen CRT sets. Having a clip lead
connected from the main ground of the set to an external electrical
ground will stop this problem.

If there is a build up static charge from the HV to the main chasis of
the set, and you were to touch a part of the circuit board, and cause
a discharge, many components on the board can be damaged.

Jerry Greenberg