Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Completely OT : Qbasic

On 02/05/2016 04:55 PM, wrote:

I still have two MFM drives that work on a Zenith Data Systems 286

Used to have quite a few at one point...and they would just plain 100%
die with no warning.

What brand?? I used to work for (at the time) the largest hard drive
distributor in Canada and remenber when the super fast connor hard
drives came out. 300Mb 3.5" drives!!!
Can't remember the brands we carried but in less than 2 years we went
from 10mb drives to 300mb drives - from full hight to half hight 5.25
inchers to 3.5 inchers - and from about $2000 for a (10mb) drive and
matched controller to $300 for a 300Mb drive that used a more or less
universal controller.

Some of those drives just ran and ran - and others were like pop-corn.

I kept a few dead MFM drives and there is an assortment:
Seagate, Mitsubishi, Mini Scribe and NEC. No "one" brand sticks out but
through the years I think Seagate was most common,

I just remembered that I have a working Kaypro that a friend gave me
(his father's). It would have an MFM drive , 10 mb I believe.

The company I used to work for was a Kaypro distributor but only handled
them as a side line as we just sold their multi-meters. (First hand held
digital) At any rate I had the price sheets for the computers and when I
told my friend they were something like $7000 or so in maybe 1979 he
said: "No wonder my mother got so mad when he bought it."