Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Completely OT : Qbasic

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 15:58:34 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/05/2016 12:57 PM, wrote:

et ---

Why not? You can connect them to a windows machine and it will read
FAT just fine. You could also load it as C: and get a blast from the
past. W/3.1 is sweet on a P4. Your games might run a little too fast
to be useful tho.
I loaded my old A-10 Warthog game and found it was impossible to even
take the plane off without crashing.

DOSBOX is an option tho since you can slow down the apparent CPU
speed.
I still run dBaseIV in DOSBOX and it really screams. The extended
memory driver loads and it sees a huge virtual drive. I keep all of
this on a thumb drive that I mount in DOSBOX as C: and it is like I am
back in the 90s. Even the tiniest thumb drive or SD card is
unbelievably huge for a DOS w/3.1 environment.
I also took a little leftover space on one of my hard drives (100 meg
or so) and partitioned it as FAT so DOS will see it. I haven't done it
yet but one of these days I am going to "SYS" a DOS 6.3 boot loader on
it. I just do not have a diskette drive on this machine to get that
going.

Run Win3.1 on even a P-II and it will scream!

I also recall having to apply a patch to Win95 to get it running on a
CPU over 300 mhz

We had a "slowdown" utility that went with all our 20mhz XP clones so
you could throttle it back to run games written for 4.7 processors.
Used the same program for our 20mhz AT clones (when the AT was an 8mhz
box)