Posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.home.repair
Brian Gregory Brian Gregory is offline

Default Advice sought on why 6.8A USB charger melted USB cable today

On 01/12/2015 02:41, Tony Hwang wrote:
Danny D. wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote, on Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:00:22 -0700:

We have couple iPADs kicking around in the house. I wouldn't use
quality unknown anything with iPAD for the danger of damaging the unit.
Look for UL, CSA,EU approval Logo on stuffs like that. I have O'scope
at least I'd check how clean output they produce EU standard is quite
higher than that of UL.

They print the UL approval on lighting cables?

Good charger is not just putting out certain voltage. Ihas some smarts
and as charging progresses it tapers back the current. Regulating output
current. El Cheapo charger may charge a device but it can shorten
the lie of battery or damage the device. Spend some money and buy some
decent product.

But this isn't really a battery charger. That's just what you use it for
- it's actually a power supply with USB output connectors. It just has
to give out 5V at as much current as what ever is connected wants.
Ideally it needs the ability to tell what you connect to it how much
current is available so that devices can decide to fast charge if they
want to without fear of overloading it. It's up to the device to protect
it's battery from over charging.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).