Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Theo theom+news
@chiark.greenend.org.uk escribió:

I was looking at older versions of those, and the different was the Desktop
adaptors were PCI, and the Server adaptors PCI-X.

Can't have been, because I have a Pro/1000 desktop adapter right here
that is PCI-e.

PCI = traditional 32 bit PCI, shared parallel bus
PCI-X = PCI expanded to 64 bit shared parallel bus, different connector
PCI Express (PCI-e) = point to point serial links, 1/2/4/8/16 lanes

Pro/1000 covers PCI, PCI-X and PCI-e. All modern cards are PCI-e.
The list I was looking at had things like the Pro/1000 MT Desktop as PCI and
the Pro/1000 MT Server as PCI-X - I assume this is a general trend, but I
didn't check every model.

I also have a few HPaq PCI-X quad-port server adapters - those use 4 x
i82557 controllers.

Are you sure? The 82557 is a 32 bit PCI chip, so would be wasted on a 64
bit PCI-X board. I suppose they might have done that if your server only has
a PCI-X slot, or they couldn't route all 64 data lines on the board.

Theo