Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But it isn't. My GPS is *far* superior to your phone_cum_GPS solution
in ways that are highly important to me and unimportant to you. I'm
not trying to convince you to get a stand-alone GPS because your
phone_cum_GPS does all you need. It wouldn't last 5 seconds out in the
rain on some motorbike handlebars and being operated by gloved fingers.

That's why anyone with even half a clue has it in their pocket with
a proper headset and voice commands that leaves that for dead.

Yeah, you haven't ever ridden a motorbike have you?

Wrong again.

FWIW, I have used my phone as a GPS in the top of my motorcycle tank
bag and it was a complete PITA (and it wasn't dark or raining)!. ;-)

But isnt if you have even half a clue and have it in your
pocket with a proper headset and voice commands.

See above.

See above.

Here is another saying you might find interesting re audio v visual cues:

What you hear you forget.
What you see you remember.
What you do you understand.

Must be why even you uses turn by turn navigation now.

So, *you* may be more than happy walking to a garage sale
and talking on your phone and listening to the direction
prompts at the same time. It's all very easy at 5mph.

Even easier at 100mph in heavy rain when you are carefully keeping
a look out for what might cause a problem in front of you.

At 70 mph *I* (so not you remember) am much happier with
an audio prompt (that can come though my bike intercom)
but prefer the visual instruction re what I actually need to do.

More fool you when you should be looking at the road, not the GPS.

In most cases it's actually only a confirmation of what
I already know, but nonetheless, it's still how I like it.

Stupid to be looking at your GPS in that situation.

Now, I am fully aware (and accept) what *you* prefer, how
about having a go at considering what I might prefer

Not interested in what you prefer when it increases the
risk to me and can see me kill you because of your stupidity.

While it's your stupidity that killed you, I'd prefer to not
have to scrape you off my car and would prefer it if you
didn't write my car off and waste my time calling the
ambo and cops and maybe even having to show up to
give evidence to the coroner and waste even more of my
time that I would much rather be doing something else with.

and we can finish this eh. ;-)