Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Drawer & Cabinet Guys:! Opinions Needed!

On 2/4/2016 10:55 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you were talking about building
smaller cabinet box that would fit inside the existing ones. If that's
correct, I just see that as a heck of a lot more work than cutting down
some spacer blocks and screwing them to the insides of the existing
cabinets.

But again, I may not understand what you meant.

Inserts for face frame cabinets don't have to be boxes, they can be a
anything from a frame, to full casework, depending upon aesthetics,
what needs to be accomplished, and, most importantly, budget.

They can be this simple, or full case work, the principle is the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...4 08138140050

That said, do you want to rebuild the drawers?

And, if you want to rebuild the drawers and use some type of insert,
plus the fact that it's a commercial operation and there apparently has
been problems with heavy duty use, would you not be remiss recommending
"heavy duty" drawer slides for any newly built drawers?

Remember, those almost always need 3/4" clearance on either side,
meaning with any type of insert, and the face frames I saw, plus the
required extra clearance, they will lose almost 2" in drawer width.

Only a well informed (by you) client, and his budget, can tell you which
way to go.

Hopefully all this back and forth has been helpful in that regard.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net