Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:44:01 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Chris French
wrote:

snip

Ok, well that could be usable. I wonder if it's similar to the 'Maps'
app you get in Windows 10?

No idea what that is like. It's just like normal Google maps on
the phone, just we a few missing niceties if no data connection.
But for your basic driving navigation it works fine.

Ok, well I've not really used the Maps app on W10 other than it looked
initially like your typical online map solution but had the option to
download the maps for selected areas / countries (presumably to use
offline)?

snip

I think I turned off the 'traffic avoidance' option as whilst I don't
mind being forewarned of a snarlup, I'd like to decide if it's worth
doing anything about it. Like, 10 minuets sat on the Motorway might be
'easier' than taking a 9 minute detour.

Indeed.

I've not used a standalone satnav with traffic info, but I like
the way googly maps pops up a message saving there is quicker
route via xyz and you can easily look and decide

I'll have to try it when in the car next.

On my Nuvi the proposed path ahead is normally purple and superimposed
on the general map and it goes red (over the relevant section) when
traffic exceeds some threshold. It also shows you what direction it's
in. I'm not aware of it popping up with any audible warning but it may
be there is and I've turned it off (or it goes off when you disable
the 'traffic avoidance' option).

Thinking what I do or don't do re my GPS has got me thinking how I
generally approach any new(to_me) technology.

I generally first turn it on, see if it pops up with anything that
looks like an incorrect input could cause an issue and if not, just
see if I can get it to do what I want. If the UI is good enough (for
me) I *can* generally do what I want and I may only find other things
it can do by accident. If I would like it to do something I am not
sure about I will generally first just explore (trial and error) and
then (and only then), check the Internet or (lastly), RTFM. ;-)

The daughter is the same whereas the Mrs (a bit older than me) would
RTFM first.

That said, I might, given time in a waiting room, flick though the
user guide, just to see what else it might do but at the end of the
day, I generally only want to do the things I know it can do and why I
bought it in the first place. ;-)

Cheers, T i m