Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

En el artículo ,
Clive George escribió:

Intel don't appear to sell cards not described as "Server Adapters", so
if you're buying Intel, that is the standard one.

They do/did a range of "desktop" adapters too. I suspect the difference
is just in the naming and, perhaps, they use the same controller chip
and disable some of the more advanced features in the "desktop" version
drivers.

I have a "Pro/1000 PT Desktop Adapter" (i82572) in my bits box. This is
a superb PCIe adapter. I would be using it but the motherboard I have
has an i217-LM chip on it, and I haven't been able to find out if it
would be worth replacing with the Pro/1000 - suspect not.

In the earlier days of Linux, it was a relief not to have to battle with
the awful drivers for 3Com cards and just ram in an Intel 82556/82557
based card - they Just Worked (tm).

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!