Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Laminate flooring

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 16:50:31 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I am going to have Lowes put down about 300 sqft of Pergo Laminate flooring.
I have a quote from them and it seems reasonable.

They did not seem to specify any underlayment for the flooring. Should
there be some ?
If so what type should it be ?

All depends on the condition of your floor. That's something the
installer should determine. If you're unsure of them knowing what they
are doing, get a 2nd opinion from someone who can see the floor. It's
impossible to tell you on a newsgroup when we cant see the floor.

I dont know what they use these days for underlayment. 20 years ago,
1/4" luan plywood was common. In the 70's 1/4" masonite was popular. I
guess it depends on what works best and what is the cheapest.
I had a relative who did flooring, and I used to help the guy once and
awhile, when I was much younger. Thats why I know this. Most of what I
did for him was staple down the underlayment. It takes a lot of staples.

Laminate flooring is a lot thicker than vinyl sheet goods or tile, so
I'd think there would be less need for a "perfect" floor surface.
But I'm not familiar with what you are using. Is it wood, or some sort
of vinyl or composite?