Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_20_] Chuck[_20_] is offline

Default Weird 1980s tv problem. Would like explanation.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 21:03:28 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 9:43:21 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:04:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

There were also Sonys like that. I thought it was leakage in the neon that caused that failure.

You are right. I had forgotten that was what caused the problem.
Thank you for jarring my memory.

---

I am replete with useless knowledge.

Next though, I don't even know if I ever even knew this, but what would that circuit be called in a digital IC. Like in a 74XX series or something ?

Something has to momentarily cut the current to all the other neons, likewise if you tried to make this in logic, it would most likely be a bunch of bistable flip flops but with a bit different gate arrangement.

Hell, I now wonder if neons is not maybe the best way to do it even today. There is only one main dropping resistor to all of them, when you hit the switch or whatever YOUR neon pulls more current and is fired, the other ones cannot fire because of not enough voltage.

There may be a nifty way of doing this with SCRs. I just can't think of an application right now. In fact I am pretty sure I could do it with SCRs and not too many other components. But then what ? Maybe some presets for equipment where things are still set by voltages ?

No It was a Large Scale CMOS chip. Maybe made by NEC. (NEC codes
worked with some AOC sets.)

---