Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 14:23:27 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 05:34:35 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 12:24:29 UTC, T i m wrote:

realise the M25 was a ring? There are also some people who have to ask
which way to undo a tap or a nut. ;-)

I get that somtimes it's due to mild dyslexia I think.

Interesting. I was watching a program on TV the other day that
suggested that some people can't 'visualise' something when given a
description by someone else.

There was an article about a women who couldn;t recognise her two kids
faces (no the kids weren't two faced)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-own-children

But don't water and gas tapes turn in the opposite direction.

I'm not sure mate? Most gas taps I've come across are actually
stopcocks so.

I was thinking of those on ovens and gas rings and how attaching nuts to
those meant they had to go on the other way around.

'on' could be a quarter turn clockwise which would indeed
be opposite a std water tap. goes and checks something. Yes, the
cold ceramic tap on our kitchen mixer is anticlockwise for on whereas
the hot is clockwise. ;-)

Did you also check with a digital watch :-)

And thens theres' what postion you're turning it from.

That rarely bothers me ... same with running RC models where the left
/ right are reversed when the model is coming towards you. I must
always consider such things from the perspective of being at the
optimum position to it (so in a RC buggy that would be behind / inside
it). ;-)

yes you can get the hane of it, I was trying to solder using a microscope
as you move the tip up under the scope it moves down so everything is
reversed except up and down as in hieght.

If it's under a desk and you're leaning over and upside down it gets
tricky.

I've never considered it so (I never have to think about it for a
second etc) so it must just be one of those things that you can either
do instinctively or not.

I think that's it, soem can draw what they see others like me it' sjust a
mess of lines maybe we can be trained I'm not sure.

Like I never had any issues differentiating
my left and right or port and starboard etc. 'Right' is just that way
(to the right) and I can't see (but accept it is the case of course)
why everyone else can't just to so equally?

Left and right is a strange concept, try imagingign explaing it to an
alien on another planet how would you describe what left and right were
same as up and down. Even Rod in Aus knows what up is but if we were both
to point to up we'd bother be pointing pretty much in the opposite
directions.

I wonder if that is also linked to a 'sense of direction'? We know
birds and some other creatures can use the earths magnetic fields to
give them a 'bearing' so I wonder if some people can also tap into
that, even if only subconsciously?

yes there's a tribe in Austrailian that doesn;t use the mthods other
humans do for directions. Star trek use a similar system of co-ordinates.
Those AUSies also say that their future is behind them and teh past in
front.
if you think about it it makes sense.
You can not see yuor future so it must be behind, and as for teh past well
we know(can see) our past as it's in front. Seems logical if you think
about it.

If we are visiting a new to us town, walk round and round and end up
in a cafe, when we leave to go back to the car I'll tend to start off
in the right direction whereas the Mrs will go in what appears to be a
completely arbitrary direction (possibly linked to the direction we
came in from, if we are lucky). ;-)

I can be liek that and my mum when going into a shop and coming out never
could work out which direction along the street she was going, she also
could visual cutting a round cake into 3, she just couldn't get the Y
shape anywhere near correct propotionally, wasn't bad with cutting it in 4
though.

But didn't they print an upside down map of England that was supposed
to be for 'women'?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upside-Down-.../dp/0952930404

intresting not sure hwo useful it is or why.

On my GPS's I always set them to 'North up' because that way I am
seeing it as I would if looking at a map and so can retain *my*
bearings.

that's the defualt I guess not sure hwo those in the southern hem. do it.

Same way.

If I come across some new road or traffic layout that isn't
covered on the GPS I can still navigate manually because I was aware
what direction I was heading in the first place. ;-)

Apparently women are better at remebring such things from
their POV rather than from a map POV. soemthing to do with
them having a slightly wider field of view than men.

Mine is in fact much wider than anyone I know.

The thing that still gets me is when joining the likes of the M25 are
the choices on the signs have no bearing on my destination. Now I know
it can't be like a tube map where it tells you on each direction
choice, all the stops in order but an abbreviated version might be
better than two places I'm not interested in or even directly on the
M25!

I think daughters later Garmin GPS has better lane guidance and it
announces the name of the road you are turning into (that can be quite
reassuring) so I might try hers on the next trip and may even treat
myself to one (or it's current replacement). That way I get some
better features and the latest maps. ;-)

Not drivign means I don;t have any of these devices not even an
iPhone so dont; really comment on how useful they are to me.

They are fine for walking too.

I can still use a A-Z map although some things are obviously out of date.
especailly the list of strip pubs in the local area listed at the back.
:-)

That's one area where a modern smartphone leaves everything else
for dead, just ask its what is near you and see full reviews and all.

That's what I did when I needed a backpackers after having
missed the train home. Book online after looking at the
pictures of the rooms and prices etc, use the walking
navigation to walk there, see what is around public
transport wise to get to where you want to while
away the day till the train next day etc. All for about
$2 in data for doing that stuff all day. Peanuts in the
cost of the backpackers.