Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur Conan Doyle Arthur Conan Doyle is offline

Default Parking lot resurface

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Check back with me in a year or so.

My street was a mess of patches and cracked asphalt. My town was going
to mill the surface and then lay asphalt. They changed their minds and
milled only the ends where my street meets the cross streets and then
"raised" the rest of the street with about 3 inches of fresh asphalt.
They then came back and added aprons at each of our driveways to eliminate
the lip.

We'll have to see how this works out as time goes by. The reason it may
work is that there are only 7 houses on my street and it is rarely used
as a through route - usually only when someone is lost. For now, I'm
loving the new road.

It depends on what the problem was. If the only problem was that the original
asphalt had broken down and looked like croc skin, then you may get away with it
for a while. The problem is that unstable asphalt doesn't make the best base.

If there are lots of large cracks and potholes, those will show through the new
surface quite quickly. Same principle as painting without prep.