Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Drawer & Cabinet Guys:! Opinions Needed!

On 2/3/2016 11:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Those slides have rear brackets *and* face frame adapters so I'm liking
them already.
If they made adapters/slides that attached to the cabinet rail below the
drawer, I would've have to deal with spacers.

Obviously I would prefer not to use any brackets, but they can come in
handy, particularly the back brackets, when the existing cabinets are
badly out of square, and you have room to mount and adjust them.

Mike already knows this, but For those following along who are not
already familiar, it's pretty much a no brainer once you've installed a
few back brackets:

You get that smooth operation, and good fit when closed, when the drawer
slides are parallel to each other, and perpendicular in all planes to
the face frame.

When mounting, simply use one screw on each back bracket, in the middle
of the horizontal screw slot, with at least one tightened just enough to
move with light pressure.

If your back brackets are close to alignment to the front to start with,
pushing the drawer in the first time will often be enough to shift the
loose bracket(s) perfectly parallel to each other.

If the drawer works easily, carefully open the drawer about half way and
tighten any loose bracket screws, and add a couple more before
completely removing the drawer.

CAVEAT: You need to insure the back brackets are close to being in the
right spot to begin with, and as close to parallel as possible.

(I'll often use a bar gauge to do that).

And don't force the drawer on the first attempt or you'll likely play
hell getting the drawer out if the back brackets are splayed.

(sometimes it helps to pull out the cabinet side slides all the way out,
and mount the drawer to those slides before closing it the first time by
clicking the interior sliders into place manually).

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net