Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Drawer & Cabinet Guys:! Opinions Needed!

On 2/3/16 11:30 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2016 11:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/16 10:33 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/2/2016 9:49 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
So do you think I should put spacers on the cabinet or the
drawers? And what slides do you recommend? I would prefer full
extension, soft close.

Occam's razor is your guiding principle.

For an RO that gives you _at least_ the 1/2" on each side required
for medium duty slides, I would prefer to shim the drawer slide on
the cabinet side of the rough opening.

For any drawers that have been previously shimmed on the drawer side,
leave the shim and add whatever you need to the height to mount your
drawer side slide, if any.

Since the old drawers used back brackets according to the photo, use
back brackets made for the new drawer slides you choose.

I would use KV8400's of the appropriate length, and they can be
ordered with back brackets.

Those slides have rear brackets *and* face frame adapters so I'm liking
them already.
If they made adapters/slides that attached to the cabinet rail below the
drawer, I would've have to deal with spacers.

Since I face what you're facing on almost every remodel where the client
wants to keep the drawers but have the latest and greatest in drawer
slides; or when the cabinet RO's vary past the required 1/16" tolerance
for new drawers, I find the KV 8400 give me the most flexibility, often
allowing me to mix and match the FF and rear, or lack thereof, brackets
according the cabinet, and often the position of the drawer in the
cabinets.

Looked around to find some photos to illustrate doing whatever it takes
to get a good installation and found this 2014 video ... it's short, but
you can see some "mix and match" for the same cabinets ... and this was
a fairly easy one:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554... 2205120220706

At about the 12 second mark there's a good view of the spacers you used
to attach the slides to the face frame.
When I visited the store, yesterday, to inspect their problems, I
actually "fixed" a few of the drawers just to get them functioning well
enough to use in the mean time. This involved shimming out a couple
slides from the face frame using similar blocking.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--