Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default we bought a new house, and got a bad roof job about 3 months ago, what do we do?

"philo" wrote in message ...
On 02/03/2016 07:31 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Probably so. But in case anyone else comes across this in the future
and has a similar problem, I'd suggest contacting the shingle manufacturer.
They offer warranties, provided they are installed correctly. The problem
most likely isn't the material, but they have field reps they will come
take a look on a claim. I'd be there, go up with the rep, take pics,
document everything, get a written claim denial in writing explaining
what the real problem is, etc.

Also a sign that it's likely a troll is that there is no mention of the
roofer being called back. You would think that some initial problem
would surface, they'd be called, etc, ie there would be more of a progression
than it's 3 months later and the shingles are falling off. Never heard
of a shingle job where that happened, not without high wind, etc.

I had a new roof put on 25 years ago that went over the existing
shingles. The new roof did not lie 100% flat. The roofer told me that
because the original shingles did not lie flat the new roof would not
either, but would eventually settle in.

That never happened, they are still a bit uneven and doggone it the roof
is 100% leak-proof.

Problem is, my home insurer closed operations in my state and I had to
find a different carrier. Most of them...right off the bat...took a look
at the roof and said they would not insure me. It did not matter that
there were no leaks.

I will never do business with State Farm ...ever..because the agent
insulated me as well. I was refused due to "lack of pride of ownership"
or something like that.

The next roof will require a "tear-off" as there are now two layers.
Thing is, why replace a roof that doesn't leak?

Good for you, Philo. My experience with State Farm is that their adjusters are incompetent or dishonest. I had a water damaged floor. All that was needed was a few pieces of flooring replaced next to a sliding door - a small job that I could have done. But I called BS Farm to see if insurance would cover a professional job. They sent an inspector/adjuster over and right off the bat wanted to tear up 1000 sf of hardwood flooring, most of the main part of the house. He gave me a contractor to call. I knew it was crooked and never followed up. Ended up replacing one slat and all was fixed. Total cost - one six-pack for a helpful neighbor.

Pretty soon the BS Farm insurance premium went up. The story was that when I called them, they considered that a "claim" and up went the premium.

Also had a driver hit me who had BS Farm auto insurance. Estimates were $1300-1500. They would not pay that much on my old car but offered to have one of "their" shops fix it. Their "fix" would have been to knock out dents and paint only that part, trying to match the old faded paint. Cost for them to paint the whole car was $3K. Funny - out front of the shop was a sign "We welcome all insurance coverage"

Farmers Insurance is also rotten. They bought 21st Century which I have had for 20+ years. Last year I made 2 payments at once because of being out of town for the next one. Instead of doing as I asked, they counted that as one payment and invoiced for the 2nd payment as usual. A few days after that I had a flat around 11pm and called their 800 roadside assistance number which never answered. I called every 10 minutes for a half hour, then called the local tow. I sent the receipt in with a note explaining it. They never replied. I ran across the receipt 6 months later and called. The explanation was what I just said, that I had missed the 2nd payment and insurance lapsed 1 day before the tow. This was not in keeping with their promised "grace period" but they would not budge. Plus they had added on a reinstatement fee that I had not noticed at the time. I asked how long I had had the insurance, and the gal looked it up - "Since 1993". "How many claims have I filed." "None." "Do you think you could credit me that towing charge and reinstatement error charge." "No."

So, I'm shopping around and will be canceling Farmers by mid-Feb when the payment is due.