Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default we bought a new house, and got a bad roof job about 3 months ago,what do we do?

On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 9:26:12 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/03/2016 07:31 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Probably so. But in case anyone else comes across this in the future
and has a similar problem, I'd suggest contacting the shingle manufacturer.
They offer warranties, provided they are installed correctly. The problem
most likely isn't the material, but they have field reps they will come
take a look on a claim. I'd be there, go up with the rep, take pics,
document everything, get a written claim denial in writing explaining
what the real problem is, etc.

Also a sign that it's likely a troll is that there is no mention of the
roofer being called back. You would think that some initial problem
would surface, they'd be called, etc, ie there would be more of a progression
than it's 3 months later and the shingles are falling off. Never heard
of a shingle job where that happened, not without high wind, etc.

I had a new roof put on 25 years ago that went over the existing
shingles. The new roof did not lie 100% flat. The roofer told me that
because the original shingles did not lie flat the new roof would not
either, but would eventually settle in.

That never happened, they are still a bit uneven and doggone it the roof
is 100% leak-proof.

Problem is, my home insurer closed operations in my state and I had to
find a different carrier. Most of them...right off the bat...took a look
at the roof and said they would not insure me. It did not matter that
there were no leaks.

I will never do business with State Farm ...ever..because the agent
insulated me as well. I was refused due to "lack of pride of ownership"
or something like that.

The next roof will require a "tear-off" as there are now two layers.
Thing is, why replace a roof that doesn't leak?

I'm not surprised that most of them want the roof replaced. It costs them
nothing (other than loss of your premium) to require a new roof. I'm sure
that their actuaries have weighed the cost of a claim with a 25 year old
roof vs. the loss of premium and determined that the risk is not worth
the reward.

At 25 years, leaks or no leaks, you may be approaching (or have surpassed)
the manufacturer's warranty on the material, especially since it was installed
over an existing roof. I obviously don't know the specifics or your situation,
but "2nd roof" warranties can range from full to "minus X years" to none.

I have been been involved in 2 "age of roof" situations recently and it's
not just the Ins Co's that want to know about the roof.

I refinanced a HELOC on my own home and had to provide documents showing
the age of the roof (5 years in my case).

I am helping my Dad sell his house and the realtor asked about the roof.
She said it looks really good, but wanted to know the age. She said that,
depending on the lender, any roof over 10 years old could count as "points
against" (in a sense) approving the loan.