The Natural Philosopher

Default Clearing gutters... any tricks or tools?

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:59:35 +0100, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:23:16 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

Anyone else got any suggestions?

A plastic bottle with a handle and a roud/oval cross-section (get one
suitably sized for your gutter) makes a good "shovel" for gutters: cut
off the bottom of the bottle with a knife, and bevel the rest, leaving
the handle and a bit to take the gunge.

Don't know if it's any good at the end of a pole, but it's a good tool
the get the composted muck out of gutters, and it's everyone's
favourite price...

Thomas Prufer

I cut a piece of ply to the 1/2 moon profile of our gutters. This was
mounted on a length of very light lathe (off cut from ripping timber
actually). Using this eliminates a lot of ladder moving as one can
reach out to both sides with it and pull the rubbish in before picking
it out and dropping into a bucket.

It was lashed up as a temporary measure some years back but still
survives.It doesn't have to be very strong as one is pulling and not
pushing with it.

Thank heavens we have had some heavy frosts recently as that willl
bring down the last of the leaves.

Paul Mc Cann

My god. All this trouble. Makes me glad I did what I did..extended the
french drains necessary for the thatch right round the tiled section of
the house, and eliminated gutters altogether. Now the whole house drips
like IMM's nose in the rain, but it all goes underground and vanishes
into the pond..and one less regular maintance job to do.