Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kern County Landfill Kern County Landfill is offline

Default 304 Rod Machining

On 1/31/2016 12:56 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 16:49:05 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 1/28/2016 4:45 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 06:47:04 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses
in the US. It pits.

When supplying the food industry with wire brushes the Stainless Steel
spec. was for 302, I can't tell you why except that 302 is the most
common alloy wire available and it handles much better than any other
alloy. I hated working with 304 the most.

"304, thats a whore"

Remarkable - a post in which gummer, the stolen valor ****, didn't
threaten to kill anyone. Who'd have thought it?