Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

John Rumm wrote:
The other day when installing an extractor fan, I needed a 5" hole
though the wall. The wall in question was made up from several layers of
cladding and ply, but was basically a stud wall. Hence, I stuck a 5"
holesaw on my combi drill, romped up the ladder, and went at it.

Having found that I was making rather slow progress, it was also cold
and the wind was blowing, and I had nearly twisted my wrist twice when
the saw snagged, I decided it was time to go and get big FO drill with a
clutch.

I then wasted 30 mins looking for my core drill. It was not where it
should be, or anywhere else likely. Phoned the last person I lent it to,
he had brought it back. Hmmmm. In the end I got out the SDS, and found a
rare use for the normal chuck adaptor in it.

So tonight I though I would go have another look for it in the workshop
- looked on the floor under the bottom tool shelf (got down on my hands
and knees with a torch this time). Nope, definitely not there. Then I
was about to get up, when I looked at a big yellow and black bag on the
bottom shelf that I did not recognise immediately. Oh yes, one core
drill and all the cores!

I forgot that last time I used it, the zip on the weedy bag it was in
broke, and I had been organized enough to order a better bag for it!

It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one to do this soft of thing.

Another thing that catches me out is I have a number of chesterman
flexible steel rules 300mm x 12mm x less than 1mm thick which get
scattered around the desk, bench etc where I'm working and they just
disappear.
Invariably they manage to get lodged at an angle so that the only view
is the 1 x300mm one and I just don't see it for ages.

Bob