Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default wall plug wiring

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 11:06:05 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 09:57:13 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 00:56:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/31/2016 12:24 AM, dangerous dan wrote:
While looking at this wall plug, I noticed it has a designated side for
white wire, and a designated side for black wire. In the past I never
saw that on a plug and just put it on whichever side was handy.
Is there a valid reason for putting a specific color wire on a specific
side? I personally wouldn't think so, but maybe an electrician would
know a reason, or someone more knowledgeable.

Plugs should be polarized for proper grounding of appliances plugged
into the receptacle. You will also notice that plugs have one prong
larger to mate with the wider slot of the receptacle to everything is
properly polarized. Small prong is hot, wide is the neutral. Yes, your
lamp will light either way but you toaster may shock you if not properly
grounded.

If you look at lamp cords you will notice that one side looks a bit
different than the other side, usually ribbed. That is so if you splice
it or put a new end you can get it right. Smooth is the hot side, ribbed
is neutral.

Really ! ?
Are you saying that the metal body of my toaster is "grounded"
to the neutral wire of the power cord ? for safety.
Imagine that someone forces the 2-prong polarized plug into the wall -
- backwards !
John T.

Trader summed it up nicely. If you have the polarity swapped on your
toaster, the switch is opening the neutral and when you stick the fork
in there to get the bagel out, it will light you up.

Well, that's why they call it a toaster.