Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wall plug wiring

On 1/31/2016 12:24 AM, dangerous dan wrote:
While looking at this wall plug, I noticed it has a designated side for
white wire, and a designated side for black wire. In the past I never
saw that on a plug and just put it on whichever side was handy.
Is there a valid reason for putting a specific color wire on a specific
side? I personally wouldn't think so, but maybe an electrician would
know a reason, or someone more knowledgeable.

* the hot wire goes to the smaller slot in the
socket. Less likely to have foreign objects
stuck in the smaller slot. (Think kids with
metal objects.)
* With polarized plugs, the hot goes up to
the switch. So when the device is turned off,
the wires in the device are not powered.

Safety reasons, for sure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young