Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default wall plug wiring

On 01/30/2016 11:24 PM, dangerous dan wrote:
While looking at this wall plug, I noticed it has a designated side for
white wire, and a designated side for black wire. In the past I never
saw that on a plug and just put it on whichever side was handy.
Is there a valid reason for putting a specific color wire on a specific
side? I personally wouldn't think so, but maybe an electrician would
know a reason, or someone more knowledgeable.

There's been a definite neutral and line side since the introduction of
polarized plugs and three wire circuits. That goes back at least to the
'60s if not earlier; I don't recall just when precisely.