Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default French drain and cellar Q

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 7:25:37 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 5:39:19 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Now that we have some weather fit for humans to be outside , I've
gotten back to work on the cellar . Today I rolled a thick coat of
asphalt emulsion on the outside of the walls and covered it with 6
mil plastic sheet . I then laid a bed of washed gravel about 3-4"
deep , laid a 1 1/4" pipe with holes every 6" (vertical , thru both
sides) and covered it with more gravel . Did about a third of it
today with plans to finish tomorrow and start backfilling . My
question is what to put over the gravel drainage bed before
backfilling . I need to let water percolate down , but prevent silt
and clay from plugging the gravel . I have tarpaper and plastic
sheeting on hand , and can pick up stuff at
the hardware/lumber store tomorrow if needed .
--
Snag

sure hope you put the exterior french drain below the level of the
footer........... otherwise the water can come thru the basement
floor

the 1 and a quarter inch pipe is way too small it should 4 inches and
covered with a sock, to minimize clogging

theres a permable clothe sold in home centers, it should be put down
before the gravel is placed, to minimize soil intrusion.

its best to run access lines upward so you can flush the lines from
above

i am sorry you should of asked before starting construction

Well , ya see Bob , this cellar will be completely underneath the room -
that is , the room overhangs the cellar about 7 feet on two sides , the
living room is uphill from it , and the cellar end will be flush with the
downhill side . No surface water will get to the walls . I've been watching
the sidewalls of the pit closely , and noticed there was a couple of small
trickles coming from one area after several days of heavy rain (like 3" in 4
days) . Up til then I was just going to do the asphalt and plastic , decided
a drain might be in order . The capacity of a 1 1/4" PVC pipe is way
overkill for the amount of water observed . A couple of other bits , the
cellar is not completely underground , uphill end is about 4'6" in the
ground , downhill end less than 18" . Slab is pitched slightly towards the
downhill end , and there is a ground-level entrance with the ground sloped
away from the cellar . It's a pretty sure thing that the water I saw is
rainwater that fell up the hill and percolated
down - there are other tiny "springs" that only flow after several days of
heavy rain .
--
Snag

well i spent 8 grand trying to dry my moms basement, which included all new sidewalks new steps. resloped entire yard, and when i was completly done, the basement was still flooded. a couple inches..

so i then spent 3500 bucks, for a interior french drain which really worked

the op can always do the interior french drain..

oh and the cost difference between 1.5 pipe and 4 inches is really small...