Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

Scott Lurndal wrote:
Les Cargill writes:
The Real Bev wrote:

Nah. NNTP is just one-to-many email. It was supposed to be ephemeral,
the "messaging" protocol. If anything needed to be persistent,
there was FTP, GOPHER, then HTTP.

NNTP was designed originally as a mechanism to allow network
readers access to a BNEWS or CNEWS setup.

I did not know that.

In the olden days,
usenet readers had to log into the unix system with the newsfeed
in order to read usenet (using rn, trn, et alia tools).

http://www.giganews.com/usenet-history/cnews.html

Thanks for that. I knew (some of ) the history back
to the Great Renaming.

NNTP is not, and was never a "one-to-many email".

I didn't mean literally, I meant that's what it
looks like from the user perspective circa 1995,
especially if you used Netscape.

NNTP is to email as multicast is to unicast,
metaphorically.

If anything,
it's a store-and-forward setup,

Yep.

but in today's parlance, it's
a publish-subscribe setup.

That too.

http://www.giganews.com/usenet-history/nntp.html

UUCP - the horror.... the horror... if they'd only
had rsync.....

--
Les Cargill