Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default 304 Rod Machining

On 30/01/2016 12:09 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

We often don't appreciate what we have here.

Sometimes one doesn't appreciate what one has until one doesn't have it...
Wish I could get MSC to open a branch here, but not sure there's enough
manufacturing to support maintaining the inventory.

At least they're available online these days.

For the most part, available on the web here. Some items I've had to
track down the mfg and request, and one outfit mailed them in.
Even most Aussies admit the country is a decade or two behind the States
in some respects.

Anything that pits or corrodes, whether the material itself is safe
or not, is a harbor for bacteria.

Have had a lot to learn in this area. As if AU standards weren't enough,
we're after export contracts in the States. Boy, has that raised the
bar. It's not big issues, but a thousand tiny details that have to be
attended to... The majority of work order requests I've processed lately
relate to coming up to export standards.

The push for raising the bar has benefited me. Got another promotion,
now maintenance planner. Being flown to Sydney Monday for 3 days
training on MEX. I'm stoked. Place was mostly reactive when I hired in.
Was my stated goal from the start to implement some sort of structure
and system, even if only in the one area I was initially responsible
for, rendering.

Now I'll be setting up PM schedules for entire plant. Stock yards, 2
slaughter floors, 4 boning rooms, 2 offal rooms, refrigeration plant,
chillers and freezers, rendering, skins, bio remediation, waste water
and irrigation as well as spares stores and inventory/requisition.
As we have at least 18 months expansion to come, probably take 2 years
to fully document all assets and set everything up.

Jon

---