Posted to alt.home.repair

Default more light changes

On 1/29/2016 10:25 AM, songbird wrote:
the light in Ma's room started to flicker last week
and after 20yrs it was time to replace the el cheapo
florescent shop light with LED 4ft versions.
4500 lumens, 42watts, rated to 50,000hrs, warrantee
for 5yrs, but i'm guessing they'll last a bit
longer than that.

we use the lights for indirect lighting (pointing
them up at the white ceiling). as she works in her
room on sewing projects in the winter she wanted to
replace the one light with two of the new ones. ok.
(but i told her i didn't think she needed that much
light).

it's so bright in there (turned them on last night
to see how they looked under battlefield conditions)
that i'm not sure i would like it.

we also replaced the two we used for the indirect
kitchen lighting. this place is lit up like the
Taj Mahal if we have all four of those on at once
(not very common we'd do that).

all that light for 168 watts (less than three
incandescent 60watters). i say, gotta love this new
technology!

songbird

Some people are less sensetive to light as they age. My
one grand mother insisted that I read with no less than
100 watts of incandescent light. I told her that was
overly blinding. She'd come along and turn on the light
while I was reading in daylight next to a window. We went
around and around about that.

I've found fluorescent tubes come in different colors.
4100k is slightly blue. 3000k is yellow. 3500k is some
where in the middle.

--
..
Christopher A. Young