Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On 29/01/2016 12:19, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/01/16 00:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 2016-01-28, John Rumm
wrote:
On 27/01/2016 15:03, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Or, as happened to me once, someone "tidies it away" and then
calls IT as to why nothing in the office works any more.

Yup, had that...

and someone who crated a network storm on a lan by deciding that
a loose RJ45 really ought to be plugged into something - and
ended up creating a loopback on an old hub that did not spot the
problem and attempted to forward the forwarded packet forever
more!

Or someone brings in their 4-port redundant thing from home which
fixes their local lack of ports issue, but gifts the rest of the
network a new DHCP server leasing out 192.168.0.0/24 and a gateway
to nowhere.

Yup had that as well...

Another gateway to nowhere...

I was working in a UK call centre where 150 thin client devices had the
next gateway set to a Citrix server out of town. This worked normally
until one particular morning when some of the workstations failed to
connect and a lot of sales activity was lost. Management not happy.

We could ping the gateway interface and got a quick response. Hmmm...
Guys in Citrix server town could ping our interface as well. OK.

Netscans revealed the MAC address of the gateway interface, and that to
be something made by HP.

A printer. Someone bored in a meeting room with idle fingers had given
this device the gateway IP address and lots of enquiring packets to look
at. We never found whom this person was.

IT people have a special dispensation from H&S for running up and down
corridors, in fire fighting situations like this. A map of where network
printers are exactly located would have been useful, but oh no, we don't
have that :-(

I had very similar a good few years ago. After driving into Birmingham &
back for a new router interface card, I discovered a standalone print
server, newly installed that day. It didn't cause a total failure, just
woeful, unpredictable performance, presumably as sometimes ARP would
resolve the router. I also never discovered which idiot configured the
print server.