Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins Alan Braggins is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

In article , Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Dave Liquorice escribió:

Seemed OK at the time but can you imagine trying to
use the modern web at 64 kbps?

When my broadband went down a while back, I used a 56k modem to get my
daily fix of the internets. Quite an eye-opener.

A major part of the problem is advertising. Those selfish ****ers think
nothing of hurling flashing, auto-vid-playing, noisy ads that consume
more bandwidth combined than the page you actually wanted to look at.
And then they whinge that people use ad-blockers to preserve their
sanity.

It was ads that obscured legitimate page content that tipped me into
using a blocker. Not popups that had to be dismissed (which I'd blocked
earlier), but in-page ads that ****ed up layouts so badly the pages
were unreadable.

Stories like
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/25/92...-vulnerability
http://www.computerworld.com/article...-for-ddos.html
have not encouraged me to change back.

(The waste of bandwidth doesn't help either, of course.)