Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 304 Rod Machining

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:15:31 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 29/01/2016 8:45 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses
in the US. It pits.

Yeah, anything in food production areas has to be food safe. And since
nobody seems know even know what it is, certainly won't be an issue!
People don't seem to get it when I sorta whinge about not being able
to find things I want, tooling, hardware, etc. So have shown McMaster
Carr's website to a few. Blew them away...

We often don't appreciate what we have here.

I've had fun collecting MSDS for everything we use in the plant, and
sorting out what's food safe and what's not.

At least they're available online these days.

Regarding 303, my recollection is that there is no toxicity issue.
It's the pitting that's a problem -- maybe from the sulfur content,
but I don't remember the detail. Anything that pits or corrodes,
whether the material itself is safe or not, is a harbor for bacteria.

--
Ed Huntress