Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T Wood T Wood is offline

Default Sherwood RX-5502 Receiver Protection Shutdown, Repair, thoughts wanted...

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...ug-134725-.htm
, T Wood wrote:
jurb6006 wrote:

I don't know how you get here, but Google and aioe or whatever seem to
be t
he only free ways to do it. Actually I probably should get a paid
service b
ut then, who gets that money ? Originally I got here via AOL but they
stopp
ed doing everything I wanted so I got rid of them.

Anyway, in Google the topics are arranged in reverse chronological
order, s
orted by most recent post. The date is right there, but it gives the
latest
date. So if it bugs you it bugs me more because I see on the right it
says
"4 hours ago", then I open it up and it does not skip the old
posts becaus
e I have not read them through Google. Believe it or not I may have read
or
even be in some of these old posts. But that doesn't matter, most of my
wo
rk was TVs so therefore it is all useless knowledge. Audio equipment is
a d
ifferent story. People are repairing and restoring old stuff every day,
the tune of mucho dinero I might add. One guy I did a job for in PA
wound u
p with $600 into the repair. Half of that was the round trip on UPS, and
th
ey broke it ! I actually could have charged him more but I have him some
mo
ney off because I put a scuff mark on the front panel. It is a
Mitsubishi X
-11 system with the vertical turntable. I had to fix the amp which meant
re
trofitting it to modern chips because the original is unobtanium, but
befor
e that I had to fix the power supply with a foil burnt off the board,
which
was quite worrisome at first. I had to fix a broken part in the
cassette d
eck and put belts in that. Then when it got home, UPS somehow screwed up
th
e TT tracking servo. I had to charge him another hundred for that but
that
included time and gas to meet him about halfway. We were not about to do
UP
S again. so about $700 for like a 25 watt per channel, magnetic
cartridge (
oh I replaced that also) and a pretty decent cassette deck. Although
he'll
never need outputs again, I used LM3886s.

At any rate, back to our regularly scheduled hijack, the people who
respond
to these old posts, like you said, must be finding them through a
search.
I mean a web search. for them to search SER, they would have to go to
SER f
irst, right ?

However, I just Googled for "Sherwood RX-5502" and no hits
with "groups" on
the first two pages. [

Then there is another thing, a bunch of websites archive Usenet and
pretend
they got a forum. Could they be finding these old posts that way ?

I mostly agree with you, but not with the preventing replies to posts
over
a month old. I think six months would be good. At least there's a good
chan
ce the people are still alive.

If you really care to know--I did a goggle search and found the info on
electrodepot.com. I replied through that web site. I have no idea what Usenet
is. I just know there is at least one ass that like calling people idiots