Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Four socket in old house not powering devices

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:48:08 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

trader_4 writes:
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 11:43:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:41:28 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Stormin Mormon writes:

New socket (recently put in) with orange 14 ga
romex. Circuit panel was fairly new, and this
circuit was supplied with new orange 14-2 Romex.
I think I found the problem. Anyone want to guess
what it was?

14-2? Generally receptacles are wired to a 20A
breaker. 14-2 has an ampacity of 15A (or less
depending on fill ratio).

Guess: Backstabs were used

General lighting receptacles in dwellings are usually 15a. You have
20s in kitchens, laundry and bathrooms.
Homeowners may wire 20s everywhere but builders usually do not.
You just have to look at the balance if 15 to 20 amp breakers in the
panel to see that.

+1

Most of the breakers here are 15A, maybe 20% are 20A.

Whereas here, everything except the two lighting circuits
are 20A. That was true in the upper midwest when I worked
for a electrical supply wholesaler in the 70's as well.

So all of the outlets are the 20 amp type??? 15 amp outlets on 20 amp
breaker doesn't meet code.