Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default OT enlarging photo

On 01/28/2016 12:31 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 1/28/2016 12:17 PM, philo wrote:
On 01/28/2016 11:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Note: Before you begin, have the person email you a decent sized jpeg if
they have not already done so.

If it's a 75k file for example, there will just plain not be enough info
to work with...you'd want a file size to begin with of at least 1 meg
or so

Making a small image larger will rarely produce a quality image. OTOH,
resizing will work if you have a large image and want to make it smaller.

Photoshop and IRFanview are very good at interpolation. I have gotten
great quality prints by simply re-sampling. There is of course a limit.
That's why I told the OP that if the file size he's working with is 75k
for example...then forget it.

With a 1 meg jpg, there is probably enough information there to re-sample

He did say the image was about 4"x 5". It depends on the compression the
image he was sent was saved to - it could be made a little larger.

It depends on how large he wants the final print to be and how much blur
and distortion he's willing to overlook even with a 1mb file.

If you only have a smaller version of an image to print, print that
image, take a photo of it making sure the dimension settings are larger,
and the copy "negative" of the smaller image will usually print larger
photos and maintain the image quality.

That would work but assumes the OP has the equipment and know-how to do so.

He said he's not familiar with working with Photoshop, so he could play
with irfanview and learn the tool steps, or ask someone who knows how to
do it to help out, or see if the person who sent it has an original
that's larger. Often times uploaded pics are sized down before upload
because of server limitations on uploads. The photo owner probably has
an original that's already larger.

I just tried an experiment with one of the first digital images I ever
took back in 2000 when I had a 1 MP camera

Off the camera the image was 300k 5 x 7" @ 192 dpi

I used Photoshop to re-sample to 8 x 11" @ 300 dpi

It looked very good and I could notice no pixillation, it would have
made a pretty decent print